The Immigration Department requires that visa students be self-supporting. Your own funds are needed until other support is found. The Department of Physiology does not have funds for personal financial aid to students. Not all research funding agencies allow supervisors to fund foreign students. The Department of Physiology is not financially responsible for students, although it facilitates their applications for scholarships whenever possible.

Possible sources of financial support for international students might be CIDA, IDRC or World Bank Scholarship. Scholarships may also be available through your home university or government.

The program fee for international students admitted in 2007-08 is $13,892 CND per year. In addition, students are required to pay incidental fees of$1,027.64 and UHIP (health insurance) fees of $756.00. At least $18,000 CND is advised for accommodation, food, clothing, transportation, books and miscellaneous expenses. Students must obtain insurance for medical coverage before entering Canada.

You may wish to refer to the School of Graduate Studies for more information about some financial and housing assistance available to a limited number of international students.

Possible Sources of Financial Support for International Students

Prospective applicants are encouraged to investigate in their home countries all possible sources for possible funding of their proposed study in Canada. The following contacts may be helpful; additional eligibility criteria apply for each program shown.

Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS)
The Government of the Province of Ontario provides graduate scholarships for outstanding graduate students. These scholarships are available to students in all disciplines, and are tenable only at Ontario universities. International students registered in an Ontario university are eligible to apply. Ontario Graduate Scholarships are valued at $15,000 for a three-term academic year, or $10,000 for two-terms. Applications for these scholarships are made through the graduate department by the early October deadline.  

Government of Canada Awards
For citizens of France, Germany, Italy, Japan or Mexico, through Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, awards are available. Contact the nearest Canadian Embassy for additional information. As well, contact the International Centre for Canadian Studies.

Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
For persons involved with CIDA-sponsored projects in underdeveloped and developing countries. Contact the Canadian International Development Agency or contact the Canadian Embassy in your country.

Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships Plans
These are available for Commonwealth citizens (non-Canadian) or permanent residents within the Commonwealth. Contact the Commonwealth Scholarship agency (normally the Ministry of Education) in your home country for information and application forms.

Rotary Foundation International Scholarships
For citizens of countries in which there is a Rotary Club, check with your local Rotary Club or contact:

The Rotary Foundation
One Rotary Center
1560 Sherman Ave.
Evanston, Illinois
U.S.A. 60201

Canadian Bureau for International Education
CBIE has compiled a very useful list of awards to international students. Application must be made from outside Canada.
Canadian Bureau for International Education